Thursday, April 6, 2017

2017 Challenges - 1st Quarter Update!

I am officially baffled that it is already the beginning of April. (And I was supposed to have this up the end of last month. :p) This year is going by crazy fast so far. But, that does mean it's time for my first challenge update. I've definitely had some mixed results - but, over all, I'm pretty happy.

Pages of Starlight's Speculative Fiction Challenge
(A challenge created by me for me - though you're welcome to join in!)

#1 A Fairytale Retelling


#2 A Historical Fantasy


#3 A Book From NPR's Top 100 SF/F List
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Sci-Fi)


#4 A Non-British/American Steampunk


#5 Crossed With Another Genre (like a sci-fi mystery)
Hexbreaker by Jordan L. Hawk (Historical/UF/Mystery) (LGBT+POC MC)

#6 A Manga (or 15)
Karneval #5  by Touya Mikanagi

#7 A Comic Book
A-Force: Warzones by G. Willow Wilson
#8 An Urban Fantasy


#9 A Classic


#10 About Superheroes


#12 A Western (Space Western or Cattle Punk)


#13 An Earth-Based Sci-Fi


#14 A Sci-Fi With Aliens


#15 Based Around a Non-White Culture


#16 With a POC Main Character
Earthrise by M.C.A. Hogarth (Sci-Fi) (POC MC+Aliens)

#17 With a LGBTQIA Main Character


#18 With an Aro or Ace Character
An Accident of Stars by Foz Meadows (Fantasy) (Aro POV Character+LGBT+POC)

#19 Written By a POC Author


#20 Has a M/M Romance
The Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff (Fantasy) (LGBT)


#21 Has a  F/F Romance


#22 Published Last Year



#23 Published Before 2000



#24 A Novella





Pages of Starlights ReRead Challenge
I don't reread enough books. I'm usually so focused on the next new book that I never get back to the books I loved. This year I'd like to change that. I'd like to reread at least 12 books this year.


Title - Author Here
Empty Net by Avon Gale
The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh by K.J. Charles



I had so much fun with my challenges from last year, I decided to do them again!

Pages of Starlight's Chunky-Book Challenge
(Adult 400+ YA 500+)
I plan to read 12 chunky books this year - or as many as I can find that sounds good, whichever comes first. (I don't even have 12 chunky books on my TBR!)


Title - Author Here
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling
Home and Away by Samantha Wayland
An Accident of Stars by Foz Meadows
Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling

Earthrise by M.C.A. Hogarth



Pages of Starlight's Finish-the-Series Challenge
My goal is to finish 12 series this year.
I'm also including series I've caught up on if there's no indication when/if it'll be finished.


Series by Author Finished
Hexworld by Jordan L. Hawk
A Society of Gentlemen by K.J. Charles



Pages of Starlight's TBR-Clean-Up Challenge
Read some of those books I've had on my TBR list for over a year.
Not my physical TBR.


Book - Author Here